The Witches Planner: A Journey of Magic, Mistakes, and Growth

To my fellow witches and friends of The Witches Planner,

I wanted to take a moment to share with you the incredible journey that brought The Witches Planner into existence, where I started, and where I am today. It's a story of passion, growth, and a fair share of mishaps along the way.


Let's rewind the clock to August 2018. I was a 23-year-old, juggling a full-time job as a bar manager and moonlighting as a small-time Instagram influencer in the witchy community.


As any witch knows, keeping track of moon phases, Sabbats, and daily rituals is no small task. I needed a planner that could handle the perfect mix of daily life and my witchy journey. But there wasn't one that quite fit the bill. 


As luck would have it, my background in graphic design sparked an idea. I decided to create my own planner. At that point, it was just for me, a personal project to keep my witchy life organised. But when I shared a sneak peek on social media, something amazing happened. So many of you reached out, saying you wanted a planner just like mine. I was floored—I never expected such a response.


And that's where the adventure truly began. I had no clue how to turn my passion project into a business. I didn't know the first thing about manufacturing or entrepreneurship. But I was determined to make it work. I spent months creating the perfect planner, designing covers and inserts, finding a binder manufacturer, and working with local printers.


Then came the big leap—I put 100 planners up for preorder before I even had a physical product to show. To my amazement, within a week, all 100 had sold out. I had anticipated selling maybe five! The demand was real, and I was determined to meet it. So, I kept ordering more and more.


However, as the orders poured in, I was confronted with a reality I hadn't prepared for. I had no experience in handling such a volume of shipping and logistics. I was faced with the monumental task of shipping out all those orders. Hours upon hours were spent manually addressing packages, filling out customs forms, and waiting in never-ending post office lines. It was an all-consuming endeavour, and I eventually had to leave my bar manager job to focus on The Witches Planner full-time.


Our Instagram presence began to soar, thanks to your incredible support. But with great popularity came even greater challenges. I've always battled anxiety, especially when it comes to online communication. And, as with any business, we encountered issues like missing parcels, damaged goods, and returns—all of which were managed through email.


Don't get me wrong; I also received amazing emails from wonderful people telling me how much they loved the planner and how it had transformed their lives. But with my anxiety, I soon became overwhelmed and struggled to cope with the few negative emails that came my way.


To address the email situation, I hired a virtual assistant to help me respond. It helped to ease the pressure, allowing me to concentrate on packing orders and working on new designs. But, truth be told, it wasn't a magic fix. One of my biggest shortcomings in running this business has been communication, and for that, I sincerely apologise. It's something I've been actively working on, and I truly believe I'm getting better.


As the years rolled by, I tackled new challenges head-on. I secured a business account with the Royal Mail, which streamlined my shipping process. Now, I could print labels online and drop parcels off at the main Royal Mail delivery office. My packing routine became more efficient, and during busy periods, I had friends and family helping me out. It felt incredible to financially support my loved ones as they supported me in return.


But life isn't without its curveballs. One year, I received binders from the manufacturer with a design flaw, the cost to replace them, along with expedited shipping, amounted to approximately £5,000. It was a tough decision but shipping a product I wasn't satisfied with was never an option. That year, we faced an understandable backlash as orders arrived later than expected. It's the kind of decision-making that's challenging in business. I could have easily sent out the flawed binders, but I couldn't compromise on quality.


Despite my inexperience, I continued to learn and grow. But The Witches Planner had taken over my life. My one-bedroom flat became a storage unit, and I was drowning in orders. Yet, I couldn't bring myself to stop accepting them for fear of disappointing anyone. Looking back, I realise that not hitting pause was a bigger disappointment in the end.


There were moments when I couldn't stand this business, moments when I wanted to walk away. The pressure led me to resent the business I had built with so much love and dedication. But then, there would be one email, one message that said, "I can't wait for next year," and it would lift me right back up.


As the world faced the unprecedented challenges of 2020, lockdowns and uncertainty seemed to prompt a collective desire to reflect, journal, and seek solace in planning. The planner had become more popular than ever before.


During this time, I celebrated the growth and success of The Witches Planner. On the shipping front, I was making significant strides. Orders were dispatched efficiently, and my processes were running smoothly. I was fortunate to secure an office space, which not only provided storage but also a separate space for me to focus on The Witches Planner. It also gave me a separate sanctuary from my work, I now had my home back. It was the resurgence of my love for The Witches Planner.


But, as life often goes, I again encountered challenges I never saw coming. A critical issue arose with our planner inserts, impacting every single page. It was a heart-wrenching moment. I acted swiftly, ordering new inserts and, despite the considerable cost - approximately £2,500 for the inserts and another £3,000 for shipping - I replaced every affected page. At this time, I had made the decision to move across the country and could no longer afford the office space, so I decided to work from home again, fortunately with more space than my previous one-bedroom flat.


The next year, as I believed I had achieved a state of near perfection in my operations, I faced a new hurdle. A series of emails rolled in - orders hadn't arrived. Royal Mail was in the midst of strikes, causing havoc with deliveries. We couldn't track missing parcels, and my only option was to wait. It was a logistical nightmare, and I absorbed the financial strain, replacing items where possible. The business made another loss of about £3,000 on replacement products and postage.


Through these trying times, I've recognised my shortcomings, particularly in communication. I want to apologise for any frustration or inconvenience our customers have experienced. I'm not running a corporate business like Amazon; I'm a single person designing planners from my bed and packaging in my dining room.


My intention has always been to provide the best possible experience for my customers. I've addressed issues like manufacturing mistakes to ensure top-quality products. However, challenges have sometimes obscured my commitment to the quality of customer service.


What began as a "stupid little planner" for me, a random nobody nestled deep within the witchy community had transformed into something extraordinary. And for that, I'm incredibly grateful.


I want to express my heartfelt gratitude to all of you who have been with me since day one. To those who understand that I'm just one person doing my best, you are the true gems in our community.


I also want to offer a heartfelt apology to those I may have let down, those whose emails I missed, those whose orders went missing, or those who weren't entirely satisfied with their experience with me and The Witches Planner, I want to apologise. I am committed to doing better, and this year marks a turning point.


With all the twists and turns, the triumphs and trials, this has been a remarkable journey. What was once a passion project has blossomed into a beautiful community of witches and planners, and I am deeply grateful for each and every one of you. As I look ahead, I'm excited for the future. I see possibilities, growth, and magic on the horizon. Thank you for being a part of this incredible journey with me.


With all my love and gratitude,


Sophie Watkiss

Founder, The Witches Planner





0 Comments